We have partners, kids, demanding bosses, and a hectic social life. We go late to bed, maybe even after a few glasses of wine. So in the morning most of us just snooze the alarm and rush to work without really having any time for yourselves.
I used to be one of those people, but once I started to practice some of these things I really got to enjoy the benefits of having time for myself.
Here are some of the options. You can try one of these or find something that works for you!
- Go for a walk
- Do yoga
- Enjoy a cup of coffee whilst reading a book or the newspaper
- Enjoy a cooked breakfast with a person you love
10 reasons why you need to find time for yourself in the morning:
- Feel like you’ve started your day right: there’s nothing worse than getting out of bed already knowing you’ll be late for work. It puts a lot of pressure on yourself and makes you already stressed for the day.
- Look forward to getting up: once you establish your routine and feel the benefits you will look forward to getting up every day!
- Enjoy the moment and prevent stress: don’t worry about the day ahead and the amount work you have to do: remember, this is time for you. Just focus on the moment, whatever you have to do later, you’ll get to it when you get to it.
- Get a sense of achievement: If it is a workout day, you can get a sense of achievement and a boost of endorphins that will set you right up for the day.
- Feel energised and ready to face the day: If you just stretch & loosen up your limbs and spine, you will feel energised & ready to face the day.
- Get your movement/steps for the day: If you go for a walk, you can get your steps in and movement for the day.
- Get your vitamin D and breathe fresh air: get out, feel the sun on your skin, get some of the very much needed vitamin D and breathe fresh air. If you have a garden, enjoy breakfast or a cup of coffee in it. Connect with nature and get a few minutes of sunlight. Vitamin D is key for a lot our internal functions and hormones, as well as it can help you work on your tan 😉
- Feel relaxed and slow down: spend that extra minute in the shower, iron your shirt or make some lunch. Just don’t rush! Spend as much time as you need in each of the things you do in the morning without rushing to the office.
- Connect with yourself: whether you meditate, do yoga or simply sit down with a cup of tea and no phone, you will get to reconnect with your life, your goals, feelings and emotions.
- Love and feel loved: enjoy some quality time with the people you love. Share a cooked breakfast with your flatmate, go for a walk with your kids, or play with your pet.
To get yourself initiated, I recommend to start with just a few minutes for a week and see how you feel. If you body asks for more, you know what to do 😉 For example, try a 15 min workout, do 10 min of yoga, walk a couple of blocks down and back, or quickly cook some fried eggs and eat them mindfully on your table.
June 2, 2017 at 10:52 am
Love this. I always go for a walk in the morning with my two dogs and it’s so nice most moenings being up and awake when the world is so quiet. I slept in this morning and didn’t get for a walk and i miss it!!
June 2, 2017 at 11:48 am
That’s great! I don’t have any pets but I think that’s the perfect way to start your day 🙂
For me, it’s normally a workout, some yoga or a walk along the river, but the few times I can’t have some “me time” in the morning for some reason I miss it too and I get cranky! hehe