Whether strong is the new skinny or strong is the new strong (who cares!), there’s one thing that it’s true, starting strength training has many more benefits than you may have thought.
From helping prevent osteoporosis (yes, ladies) to make you feel better on your clothes, there are many reasons to pick up a bunch of weights or do some good old fashioned push-ups and sit ups at home.
It goes without saying than both men and women can benefit from adding a strength training routine to their lives, but let’s face it, women are way harder to convince than men when it comes to start lifting weights. So, this post is dedicated to all those ladies who are afraid of hitting the free weight section of the gym or join a barbell class.
Myth busting: No, weight-lifting is NOT going to make all your muscles pop out and shine (although it can with A LOT of dedication and a bunch of supplements). On the contrary, strength training will help you look more toned and lose weight as the extra muscle you put will help you burn more calories.
But in any case, the best reasons to pick up a bunch of weights are not based on how you look, but on what you will be able to do!
5 reasons to start strength training today:
- You’ll be able to put your suitcase in the compartment above your head when you are on a plane. Seriously, asking for help for this is a bit lame plus you’ll feel like a total badass when someone offers to help you and you say: “No thanks, I’ve got this”.
- You won’t mind using the Japanese toilets (if you’ve never been to Japan think festival “toilets” or let’s just say it straight: peeing on the ground). These deep squats burn like hell, specially after a few hours of drinking…
- You’ll get to carry all the groceries home and take the rubbish out without doing more than one trip. Cause nobody has time to do several!
- You’ll be able to pick up things from the floor when one leg is injured (or you’ve got pins and needles). Something good had to come out of all those pistol squats, right?
- You’ll actually enjoy that perfect summer holiday. Cause surfing or trying SUP if you don’t have a strong core it’s not very fun! And kayaking if you are not used to workout your shoulders and back will only ensure one thing: massive DOMMS!
PS. If you were wondering… yes, all of these are based on personal experience 😉
So what are you waiting for? The weekend is here, move your ass to your closest gym or get a couple bottles of water and a cabin size suitcase and start your strength journey at home. If you have any questions about how to get started or what movements to perform, I’m more than happy to help you! Just comment below or send me a private message through the contact form.
Happy & strong weekend!