Cause rainy areas and winter months are not going to ruin your cravings for a good barbecue beef to enjoy all year round. Plus, this pressure cooker recipe will save you the mess and it’s quick enough to be made on a week night too!
I love barbecues. I mean, who doesn’t? And although I grew up eating simply grilled meats and chorizo, with no sauce other than a bit of chimichurri if the chef was feeling frisky, I’ve recently started to enjoy the more widely spread barbecue sauces, like the British and American versions. I must admit that the smokiness and moderate sweetness of this sauce has got through to me and that’s why I’ve been experimenting with different recipes to make this all-year-round barbecue beef that I can enjoy whenever I want with no actual barbecue needed (living in London, this is important!).
But of course, I had to make my own gluten, sugar and crap free version though – you still won’t see me buying bbq sauce at the supermarket (me don’t like that sh*t, no no).
I buy my beef grass-fed if possible, and make this recipe with decaf coffee because caffeine really messes up my circadian rhythms and leaves me wide-eyed all night (meaning, no real coffee for me other than my morning cup).
If you are wondering if you can make the paleo barbecue sauce on its own, you can, but I must tell you that the flavour won’t be the same. It really gains a lot of body and flavour by cooking the beef in it. But hey, you do you and can make it your own way 🙂
Also, a few people asked me about my pressure cooker lately. I love using it cause I can make all these delicious meals in a fraction of the time (no excuses to not eat a varied and nutritious diet!). But I heard from people that they are scared of it. I honestly haven’t had any problems with mine and never been scared of it, maybe because I remember my family also using it when I was growing up, so for me it’s totally normal. If you follow the user guides you shouldn’t have any problems with it, and it’s not harder to use than an oven or a microwave!
So here is my recipe, from the pot to the table in less than one hour.
Pressure cooker paleo barbecue beef
Servings: 6 | Preparation time: 10 min | Cooking time: 45 min
- 800 grams – Beef (beef sheen, brisket, chuck roast or any other large braising cut)
For the dry rub:
- 1 tbsp – ground coffee beans or instant coffee (I used decaf so I can have it for dinner without the consequences 😉
- 1/2 tbsp – smoked paprika
- 1 tsp – hot paprika or cayenne
- 1 tsp – cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp – ground cumin
- Black pepper
For the barbecue sauce:
- 1/2 – brown onion, quartered
- 1 medium – tomato, quartered
- 1 medium – leek, roughly chopped
- 4 – garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup – coffee (regular or decaf)
- 1 cup – bone broth (beef stock or water also work)
- 8 – dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tbsp – balsamic vinegar
- Mix all the ingredients for the dry rub together in a large bowl or plate. With a paper towel, pat try the beef and then cover it with the rub using your hands to massage the spices onto the meat. Set aside.
- Put all the ingredients of the barbecue sauce into your blender bowl. Blend until there are no big pieces of apricots.
- Pour the sauce into your pressure cooker. Then place the beef on top. Most of it will get covered with the liquid.
- Cook for 40 min after the high pressure starts.
- When the time is up take out the beef and place on a chopping board or tray. Leave the sauce inside and let it reduce (high heat and lid free) whilst you do the last step.
- Shred the beef with the help of two forks. Then mix back into the reduced sauce or serve and pour the barbecue sauce over.
July 20, 2017 at 3:54 pm
wow this sounds incredible!
July 21, 2017 at 10:07 am
Let me know if you try and make it! It really is worth the (little) effort 🙂